Here is the record leading up to the current Iraq War:
1. The US CIA participated in the coup that installed Saddam Hussein. (see http://www.puritans.net/news/saddamhussein032103.htm ).
2. The US, as well as other Western nations, sold Iraq weapons of mass destruction throughout the 1980s, even when they were being used in a most unprincipled manner by Iraq. And the US encouraged Iraq's war with Iran. (see http://www.puritans.net/news/wmd030703.htm )
3. In Iraq's border dispute with Kuwait, US Ambassador April Gillespie gave Iraq a wrong impression about the US response should Iraq invade Kuwait. She indicated the US would not intervene, but the US did intervene in what became the first Gulf War. (see http://www.puritans.net/news/middleeast040203.htm )
4. The US spread lies in the build-up to the first Gulf War to make it seem like Iraq was preparing to invade Saudi Arabia as well. This served to justify and bolster US intervention in the conflict. (see http://www.puritans.net/news/iraq022003.htm )
5. In 1996 the CIA, working with the Kurds, made an unsuccessful attempt at overthrowing Saddam Hussein’s regime. The fiasco is labeled “Clinton’s Bay of Camels.” (see http://www.puritans.net/news/middleeast040203.htm )
6. We know at least some of the evidence presented to justify preemptively striking Iraq now is based upon fraud. We cannot be sure about the rest. (see http://www.puritans.net/news/forgery032803.htm )
While we may be sure that Saddam Hussein is a very wicked man with evil intentions on the US and elsewhere, given the information above we should also question the integrity of the leadership of the US. Is it perhaps the case that both sides have many sins to confess and repent of before even considering an attack on the other? At this date, neither side has confessed or repented of their sins. For one side to attack the other at this point is not to solve the problem, but rather to go deeper into sin.